These are the carriage conditions when you are travelling with your bike with Trenitalia trains:
- National trains: when folded and stored in a bike bag, you can transport your bike for free on all domestic trains.
- The bike must be stored in the designated luggage compartments found in each carriage. When there isn't enough space, you can kept it somewhere else as long as it doesn't create a safety hazard or limit any other travellers or train staff.
- In any case, the size should not exceed 80 x 110 x 45cm.
- On Intercity Day trains it is possible to transport the assembled bicycle.
- Regional trains: passengers are permitted to travel with a fully closed folding bicycle (even if not in the special bag) free of charge, provided that the size does not exceed 120 x 80 x 45cm and does not cause danger or inconvenience to other passengers.
- In case of travelling with an assembled bicycle, each passenger can take it on board with them (limited to available spaces), by purchasing the bike surcharge, which is valid until 11:59 p.m. on the date indicated on the ticket or, alternatively, another second class single ticket.
- Train staff may not permit passengers to bring their bikes on board the train in the event that the transportation of their bike is deemed to be detrimental to the train service.
- International trains: You can also bring your bike on some international trains, either in a designated carriage or in designated spaces in passenger carriages.
International connections with "bike-on-board" services from Italy
- Some Eurocity connections between Italy and Switzerland, such as Venice-Milan-Geneva, Milan-Basel, and Milan-Zurich, provide bike-on-board service.
- Look for the special symbol on the official timetable to see if the service is available on your train.
Because there is limited space on board for bikes, it is best to inquire about availability and book your bike space before departure at ticket offices and Trenitalia travel agencies (bike reservation is not available on this site).
- The bike surcharge can also be purchased on board the train for €12.00, subject to the availability of remaining bike storage spaces, and only for departures from Italy (pre-reservation is mandatory for departures from Switzerland).
Italy-Germany and Italy-Austria trains
- The "bike-on-board" service is not available on night trains between Italy and Austria or between Italy and Germany.
- Daytime trains on the Brenner line between Italy, Austria, and Germany (for example, Verona to Innsbruck or Munich and vice versa) are marked with a special symbol on the official timetable.
This service is not available at Trenitalia points of sale.
- For trains departing from Italy, passengers should check the availability of the service on the date they wish to travel, as well as book and purchase a ticket for their bike, at the points of sale of the German (Deutsche Bahn-DB) and Austrian (sterreichische Bundesbahnen-OBB) railway companies. (Because of the limited space for bikes on board, this service must be reserved).
- If available, you can purchase the bike transport service directly on board the train for €12.00, subject to the availability of bike storage spaces (maximum one bicycle per passenger).
For international departures, you must purchase a bike ticket from the railway company of your train's departure station.
If you desire to travel with an assembled bike, please contact us through the contact form before making your reservation.